5 Ways To Keep Your Air Conditioner / AC Fit
The better maintained an Air Conditioner/AC, the longer it will work. With proper maintenance, an HV AC unit can last well over 10 years. And, when you consider the cost of purchasing a new Air conditioner, you want your current system to last as long as possible.
Efficiency goes hand-in-hand with the life of the Air Conditioner. A well-maintained air conditioner will run more efficiently than one that isn’t maintained ,which means less wear and tear on the ac parts and the ac doesn’t need to work as hard to keep your house cool.
You should note that there are some tasks that can be done by the average household owner, but others should not be performed by anyone who doesn’t have the proper training to do so.
If at any time you are not comfortable with performing AC maintenance tasks yourself, never hesitate to call on a professional to do it for you. Always observe safety precautions; and before you perform any work on your AC outdoor unit, ALWAYS shut down the power to the AC unit at your electrical box first.
Here are few measures you can take to keep your Air Conditioner working fine:
- Clean and/or Replace Air Filter: You should always clean or replace your Air Filters. It should be done every month during high-use seasons (like summer and winter) and once during the fall and spring for the proper functioning of your AC.
- Check Wiring and Components: Check any electrical connections of your AC to make sure they are tight. If you own an electrical test meter, you can check the capacitors in the AC unit.Take a look at the contactor switch, and replace it if you see excessive pitting.
- Check Condenser Fan: Check the fan mounted on the top of the outside condenser unit of your AC to make sure it’s in good condition. Replace the fan blades if there are any cracks visible in one or more of the blades.
- Clean Evaporator coils: A clean air filter prevents the cooling coils from dust and dirt. But even then some dirt and debris get deposited on the coils with time. This deposition and covering reduces the heat absorbing capacity of the coils, thus affecting the room cooling process of your AC. A yearly service and evaporator coil cleaning are very necessary.
- Do not miss an AC service: Before the onset of summer season always call an Air Conditioner/AC service professional for a complete cleanup and service of your air conditioner.
- Use a Ceiling Fan: Using a ceiling fan with air conditioner helps in reducing air conditioner load